Strategies and Policies
Provincial REDD+ Action Plan (SRAP) - completed in 2013, providing an overview the condition of the provinces forests, vision, mission, primary forest management issues, implementation strategies and measures, monitoring, reference emission level, and mitigation actions.
Provincial Action Plan for the Reduction of GHG emissions (RAD-GRK) - Papua's RAD-GRK outlines actions that will be implemented in Papua Province through 2020. The formulation of RAD-GRK of Papua Province was conducted through cooperation between Provincial Natural Resources and Environmental Management Agency Papua with the Faculty of Forestry State University of Papua. The strategy was updated in 2015.
Laws and Regulations
Provincial Regulation No. 12/2014 - make changes to the types and tariffs on specific Non-tax State Revenues which applies to the Ministry of Forestry
Provincial Bylaw No. 23/2013 - Formally adopts Papua's spatial plan for the period 2013-2033. The coverage of the bylaw includes: objectives, policies, strategies, structure, pattern, strategic areas, spatial plan direction, control, institution, and communities participation.
Governor Regulation No. 11/2010 - on the Implementation of Community Forest Plantations of Indigenous People.
Governor Regulation No. 12/2010 - concerning the Distribution and Processing of Timber Forest Products.
Governor Regulation No. 13/2010 - concerning Business License for Timber Forest Product Utilization (IUPHHK-MHA).
Governor Regulation No. 14/2010 - concerning Guidelines for the Utilization of Wood Logging Waste.
Governor Regulation No. 15/2010 - on Procedure of Primary Industry Timber Forest Product Industry.
Governor Regulation No. 16/2010 - on Procedures for Mapping of Indigenous People's Forest Forest.
Governor Regulation No. 17/2010 - concerning Procedures for Licensing of Non Timber Forest Product Utilization.
Governor Regulation No. 18/2010 - on Guidelines for Timber Forest Product Harvesting Permit (IPHHK) in Papua Province.
Governor Regulation No. 19/2010 concerning Procedure and Procedure of Giving Import and Equipment Permit.
Provincial Forestry Office of Papua (Dinas Kehutanan Provinsi Papua) - manages and oversees the forestry sector related issues, including policy formulation.
Plantation Agency - controls the non-forest areas land use, plan, and issuance of permits.
Provincial Development Agency of Papua (Bappeda Provinsi Papua) - coordinates on the policy formulation of the regional development planning with sustainable development and low carbon as the basis.
Provincial Forestry Office for Forestry and Inventory (BPKH)
Provincial Natural Resource Management Agency (BKSDA)
Papua's Provincial Spatial Plan was formalized through provincial bylaw 23/2013. It covers the period 2013-2033.
The Provincial Government of Papua is advancing several intiatives to engage with Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities. This includes:
1. Development of a 100 ha demonstration plot for growing food in forest reserves
2. Indigenous Peoples-based industry management
3. The issuance of Timber Customary Forest Product Utilization Permits (IUPHHK-MHA) on 500,000 ha, the recommendation of permits for Business Permit for Timber Forest Product Utilization (IUPHHK-HA) on 500,000 ha, and the recommendation for Business Licenses for Utilization of Wood Forest Products-Ecosystem Restoration (IUPHHK_RE) on 250,000 ha
4. Increasing the performance of forest product processing industry (50% certified timber products) both for large scale timber industry production and smallholder timber production
5. Establishment of a community forest area of 50,000 ha
6. The development of 25 community forestry enterprises
7. Establishing and developing 56 Forest Management Units (FMUs)
8. Increasing technical and managerial knowledge of wood industry for 250 individuals in local communities